MidWales Modified
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MidWales Modified

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Track rod end nut seized

Go down 
+4
asbo
tombombvw
Lucasdemoley
Russ
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Russ
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Russ

Kudos : 4

Track rod end nut seized Empty
PostSubject: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 1:48 am

Gotta have my front wheel hubs off the front of the Toledo today, due to a fudged OSF wheel-bearing (with the wheel on there's like 2 / 2.5 mm movement and it drones in a straight line almost)

All is fine and dandy, but when i started to undo the track rod end nut (holding it into the hub) it went round for a few turns, got tight and now the nut and thread is turning together

Track rod end nut seized Untitled-2

I doused the nut and shaft in WD40 for several hours before starting, everything else came off quite nicely as a result.

I think the allen key but at the bottom might be damaged cos they keep twisting out (but then again i am doing it all on my own

I have no oxy-cetalyne anymore

Worst case i'll hack the actual joint off with a grinder, same with the nut (where the red lines are), unscrew the remanents of the trackrod end from the track rod itself and wind a new one in it's place, provided i dont touch the locking nut, it should track up close enough as before
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 am

Blowtorch the nut, will make it expand and hopefully easier to remove. Other option is some mole gripps (spl) on the thread to add some extra resistance.
Back to top Go down
tombombvw
tombombvw

Kudos : 30

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:45 am

im confused what is the problem, is it just the nut you cant get off? if so why grind twice? Also i wouldnt put mole grips on the thread, as you will ruin it and never get the nut back on
Back to top Go down
http://www.bomberaudio.co.uk
Russ
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Russ

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:52 am

Tried that Luke. Failed. It's stuck solid. Gonna have to cut it off and replace the end
Back to top Go down
Russ
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Russ

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:56 am

tombombvw wrote:
im confused what is the problem, is it just the nut you cant get off? if so why grind twice? Also i wouldnt put mole grips on the thread, as you will ruin it and never get the nut back on

It started to undo, but then jammed. So I can't even tighten the nut either. like its fused to The thread.
Back to top Go down
tombombvw
tombombvw

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 am

ye but i mean why cut the track rod end twice? surly its only the thread with the nut that needs cutting off
Back to top Go down
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:37 am

wind it back tight then loosen it to the tight bit and keep going back and fore and keep sprayin wd40 on it .. if u can.. use power tools
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 4:10 am

Slightly miostook the allen key bit.

Use a star key/ hex and hammer that into it. Should hold tighter than the allen key and is what I have done in the past when struggling with allen keys.
Back to top Go down
Russ
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Russ

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:12 am

Tom, yeah i know what u mean. Soz Smile

asbo wrote:
wind it back tight then loosen it to the tight bit and keep going back and fore and keep sprayin wd40 on it .. if u can.. use power tools

I Cant wind it back Si', it's jammed that hard(!) :S

I think power tools is the key, SPARKS FTW!!!!

gonna order a new track rod end in the morning and get cracking when i get back home.
Back to top Go down
charnock
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
charnock

Kudos : 45

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 am

Moleys, theres usualy enough room bellow the thread for them. Make them uber tight and do them up with a g-clamp Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.harrycharnock.co.uk
tombombvw
tombombvw

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:09 am

i had this same priblem, I just cut the nut in half so i can then get it off, clean the thread and fit new nut
Back to top Go down
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:55 am

tombombvw wrote:
priblem,

i lold
Back to top Go down
Crease
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic
Crease

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 pm

tombombvw wrote:
i had this same priblem, I just cut the nut in half so i can then get it off, clean the thread and fit new nut

this, is a bloody good idea!
Back to top Go down
rhodrievans
Noob
Noob

Kudos : 0

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 am

if the thread just turns put a jack underneath so it holds it tight and plenty of wd40
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

Kudos : 107

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 am

rhodrievans wrote:
if the thread just turns put a jack underneath so it holds it tight and plenty of wd40

I recently learnt this too lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Track rod end nut seized   Track rod end nut seized Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Track rod end nut seized
Page 1 of 1