MidWales Modified
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MidWales Modified

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Best driving roads

Go down 
+4
asbo
GJH
silentdice
RustySub
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Kudos : 0

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 am

Here's a list of my favourite roads around the UK and why I love them, post up yours. Let's try and get a definitive list of the best roads in the UK.

The A493 between Aberdyfi and Fairbourne:
A stunning coastal road with plenty of twists and turns, got to be careful with the racing lines though as a lot of it is fairly blind. Road surface is good and it's got some absolutely stunning views over Cardigan Bay. Great pub down in Penmaenpool to finish it off too.

The B4391 - A4212 between Ffestiniog and Bala:
A great minor road starting in the Snowdonia National Park with some great views of the slate mines around Ffestiniog. Some fantastic long sweeping curves in the road with a view of most of what's to come, so some great racing lines through the corner and you can see if it's clear or not. When you get on to the A4212 it gets a little busier, but still a great drive past Llyn Celyn.

The Hardknott Pass between Eskdale and the Duddon Valley (Cumbria):
This pass is on a minor road and can often be closed off in the winter. The surface isn't great and you're never going to pick up much speed on it. If you meet oncoming traffic...well you're knackered. However, it's the steepest road in the UK at 33% and has some of the best switchback hairpins on any road I've ever driven.

The Wrynose Pass between the Duddon Valley and Little Langdale:
On the same road as the Hardknott pass. Pretty much the same except not so many hairpins. Also there's a great pub at the end called the Old Dungeon Ghyll.

The A592 - Kirkstone Pass between Glenridding and Ambleside (Cumbria):
A pleasant but slow drive along Ullswater, however once you reach the pass, as long as you're not stuck behind someone (you won't get past), you can really power it round some great corners with decent racing lines and plenty of visibility.

The B709 through Eskdalemuir (Scotland):
Around 35 miles of some of the best driving in the UK. Not amazing road quality, but it's all intact and fairly wide for a B road. A brilliant mix of long sweeping bends and fast straights in open barren valleys, and tight turns through enclosed forestry. If you get it on a good day, you might only see a couple of cars on the whole road.

A82 between Clifton and Ballachulish (Scotland):
One of the classic roads in Scotland. As soon as you start at Clifton you go into a huge sweeping bend that doubles back on itself whilst climbing and is visible all the way round. From there you have plenty of straight of up to half a mile long and several distinctive climbing bends with good visibility.
Halfway along this drive you'll get to the moor above Glen Coe. This section is full of seriously long straights up to 1Km in length and some crazy views across this massive moor. When you find yourself driving with a small river on your left, you'll be getting towards Glen Coe. Pretty soon the road will start to get closed in with rock faces either side. It won't take long for it to open up again, and you'll see the road dropping away ahead of you into the bottom of the glen. Even more straights! Woohoo!

The A82 between Spean Bridge and Inverness (Scotland):
Another brilliant section of the A82 which follows the Caledonian Canal, Loch Lochy and the famous Loch Ness. Not really much you can say about this road except it's pretty much straight the whole way and stretches pretty much from the West all the way to the East.

The A87 from Invergarry all the way to its end in Uig on Skye (Scotland):
Some more of what the Scottish road builders do best. A mix of stunningly long straights and long sweeping bends with visibility all the way through mixed in with some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

The Applecross pass between the A896 and Applecross (Scotland):
Just do it! The 10 hour drive from mid wales to this beautiful single track road alone is worth it! Pure driving bliss in the middle of nowhere culminating in a view of Raasay and Skye, one of the most incredible views in the world! And at the end is one of the best pubs in the UK serving some of the best and freshest seafood you can get along with some pretty damn tasty venison. This road takes a good hour or so to drive. It's not worth pushing it too hard until you get to the main pass as it climbs over the mountains and you get to the hairpins.

That's as many as I can think of at the moment. Post your favourite roads!
Back to top Go down
http://www.callumstone.wordpress.com
silentdice
silentdice

Kudos : 107

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 am

Awesome! Cheers for posting this up man - need to get a bit of a convoy on some of the Welsh ones!
Back to top Go down
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 am

No worries bro. Road Trip!
Back to top Go down
GJH
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic

Kudos : 22

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 2:32 am

The Hardknott Pass between Eskdale and the Duddon Valley (Cumbria):
This pass is on a minor road and can often be closed off in the winter. The surface isn't great and you're never going to pick up much speed on it. If you meet oncoming traffic...well you're knackered. However, it's the steepest road in the UK at 33% and has some of the best switchback hairpins on any road I've ever driven.

The Wrynose Pass between the Duddon Valley and Little Langdale:
On the same road as the Hardknott pass. Pretty much the same except not so many hairpins. Also there's a great pub at the end called the Old Dungeon Ghyll.

[/quote]

These twop are very famous in terms of road rallying. Another good road is Abergwesyn-Tregaron pass. Thats also well known for road events. I really want to drive over epynt.
Back to top Go down
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 5:47 am

Quote :
The A493 between Aberdyfi and Fairbourne:
A stunning coastal road with plenty of twists and turns, got to be careful with the racing lines though as a lot of it is fairly blind. Road surface is good and it's got some absolutely stunning views over Cardigan Bay. Great pub down in Penmaenpool to finish it off too.

agree'd
right fun little bit of road that

also ...penparcau to devils bridge..so testing and so rewarding
Back to top Go down
claymore
claymore

Kudos : 9

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 am

Machynlleth to Llanidloes
Back to top Go down
Crease
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic
Crease

Kudos : 30

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 am

claymore wrote:
Machynlleth to Llanidloes

this
Back to top Go down
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 am

GJH wrote:

These twop are very famous in terms of road rallying. Another good road is Abergwesyn-Tregaron pass. Thats also well known for road events. I really want to drive over epynt.

A cracking road! Is that the one with the devils stair case on it? If it is, I've had some great fun over there.
Back to top Go down
GJH
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:13 am

Thats the one!
Back to top Go down
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:16 am

Another great section of road:
There's a back road between Goginan and Cwmerfyn that starts off going up through the forest. Watch out though, parts of it are gated though so you'll need to get out to open them. It's got a brilliant set of hairpins on a very loose surface so you can get lots of rear end action Wink. It's not very long, only takes about 20-25 minutes to drive, but it's really good if you fancy taking the back roads over that way.

To get there, you need to turn off the A44 just opposite the Druid Inn to drop down into the valley. Turn right at the T-junction, then the next left. Keep going until the end of the road where you then need to take a hard right. Then just stick on that road for some dirty gritty bliss all the way until you get to Cwmerfyn.
Back to top Go down
GJH
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:18 am

Let me have a quick word with the rally boys to find some more....
Back to top Go down
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 am

Nice one! It'd be good to build up a guide of roads based on areas.
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

Kudos : 4

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 am

Theres a road over the hill between haverfordwest and cardigan which is pretty good.

Also, a little different, the section of motorway just after the severn Bridge turn right towards Bridgewater, I like that section, hardly and cameras or police!
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 am

The one over the preseli mountains that cuts out fishguard?
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

Kudos : 4

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm

^^^ Yeh I think thats it. Drove it for the first time in the fiesta at like 1am comming back from a meet on my way back to uni in Reading (Yes, I read the sign for carmarthen wrong!), was quite good fun!

There are actualy some alright bits of road down the Gower too, but in no way do I have the right car for them!
Back to top Go down
evoman
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
evoman

Kudos : 16

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 pm

RustySub wrote:
Another great section of road:
There's a back road between Goginan and Cwmerfyn that starts off going up through the forest. Watch out though, parts of it are gated though so you'll need to get out to open them. It's got a brilliant set of hairpins on a very loose surface so you can get lots of rear end action Wink. It's not very long, only takes about 20-25 minutes to drive, but it's really good if you fancy taking the back roads over that way.

To get there, you need to turn off the A44 just opposite the Druid Inn to drop down into the valley. Turn right at the T-junction, then the next left. Keep going until the end of the road where you then need to take a hard right. Then just stick on that road for some dirty gritty bliss all the way until you get to Cwmerfyn.

That is good little road Very Happy Dad spun a seirra on the devils staircase, 180, he still to this day is shocked by it Razz
Back to top Go down
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 am

Hah fairplay to your dad Chris. I think my dad and Huw (cwrt) managed to roll a car on that Goginan road years ago when they were playing at being rally drivers.
Back to top Go down
evoman
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
evoman

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 6:54 am

im not sure who you are rustysub.. :/ lol!

Ye dad did it on the striaght bit between the 2 corners on ice, lucky it went 180 not 90 degress Razz I was at cwrt today, showing off my new ride hahah!
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 am

Hes Callum Stone
Back to top Go down
evoman
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
evoman

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 7:08 am

Callum! well fuck me! didnt know you would be on this. Get a project thread going on the disco. Your always fixing it haha!
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 am

Hes not got the disco anymore, hes got a derv astra that he took out to sea!
Back to top Go down
evoman
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
evoman

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 am

your joking ye mickey....poor show callum, poor show Razz
Back to top Go down
RustySub
Noob
Noob

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 am

The Disco went just over a year ago now Sad Hmmm yeah, I did do a lot to it didn't I. Certainly would have been worth a weekly update thread. Poor show?! You're the one that had a shitty corsa and now drives a volvo 360 Razz Pot, kettle and black comes to mind here.
Back to top Go down
evoman
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
evoman

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

haha, i loved the corsa, used less fucking feul than the volvo lol!
Back to top Go down
GJH
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am

GJH wrote:
Let me have a quick word with the rally boys to find some more....

...And these are the replies

Beulah to Newbridge on wye.. shame about the traffic lights half way through. could be a tight squeeze without them though

Trough of Bowland
Grinton Moor
Chapel-en-le-Frith to Mam Tor (well on my GSXR anyway)
Goyt Valley
Corney Fell

start at castleside county durham,take the road for stanhope for 3/4ml turn right at healyfield through comb bridges,muggleswick.edmundbyres,ruffside then turn right onto the road round the northside of the reservoir to barleyhill, nice roads.

A686 from Melmerby to Hartside Summit and on down to Alston.

Osmotherley to Hawnby - North Yorks Moors. B6270 Nateby to Muker - Yorkshire Dales. Tan Hill - Yorks Dales.

A65 from Skipton to the M6 is pretty good fun

middleton in teesdale to brough magic road

'A' road from Leyburn to Hawes and then the 'B' road up and over the top and down to Ingleton, make this blast every other Saturday night

Skipton Bypass
Settle Bypass
Clapham Bypass

I'm just copying and pasting here by the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best driving roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best driving roads   Best driving roads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best driving roads
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next