MidWales Modified
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MidWales Modified

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

drift basics

Go down 
+5
Sith
asbo
Crease
silentdice
PINGU
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PINGU
Spam bot
Spam bot
PINGU

Kudos : 33

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 am

just nicked this from driftworks Twisted Evil

Basic Drift Modifications & Drift Day Preparations

Hi guys! Just a quick post to cover what we at driftworks, and indeed any experianced drifter will suggest as the first modifcations to carry out on your drift car, and what preparations to make before you attend a drift day! But before you buy these suggested parts, get to know your standard car. How it drives, what it does and what youd like to change... And for the most part, everyone will suggest you do the following:

1st: Mechanical Aftermarket LSD
2nd: Coilovers
3rd: Bucket Seat + Harness

Thats pretty much all you need on the car, in terms of your basic tune. Extra power is nice but not always nessecary. More power gives more impressive results a bit faster, less power makes you drive the car harder and push that bit further.. So if you do choose to have more power after learning in a lower power car, you should find it easier to drift. Other goodies such as aftermarket sways, tie rods etc can come alot later as you have the basics to drift succesfully covered with the above products! drift basics Smile

Now, onto the basic preparation, stuff thats wise to do before getting out onto the track!

First off, check Fluid levels and condition! Vital and common sense really. Another key and important thing is to check your battery is secure! Bad things happen when batteries come loose! After that its a good idea to make sure you have plenty of rubber to burn. If its a concrete surface you'll go through ALOT of tyres, smooth tarmac and circuits is generally alot more tyre friendly. If you can afford to drift on new rubber, its a good idea as they tend to last longer and give more predictable results.

After that its little things.. Make sure your car is free from "debris" inside, as this stuff will fly around inside the car put you off, or possibly injure you! Bring extra coolant, extra oil and tools if possible. Jacks, Spiders and the usual hand tools might just let you get home under your own steam. Also bring plenty of drinking water with you. Its easy to get de-hydrated and often hard to find drinks etc.

When youre at the event, the other thing to consider is tyre pressures. You can play with these and they do have quite an effect on the way your car drives, and costs you nothing. Generally, 30-40psi up front is the norm and 35-45psi rear.. This isnt a golden rule however as everyone is different! Just remember the lower the pressure, the more grip you'll have, in theory.

Happy Drifting!
The Driftworks Team

Last edited by Paz; 10-07-2005 at 20:07.
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

Kudos : 107

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 am

Good find, but imo, all you need to drift is an LSD or welded diff, and a shit load of spare tyres.
Back to top Go down
Crease
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic
Crease

Kudos : 30

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 am

it dosent say anything about having BWD?

does this mean i can go drift in my golf?
Back to top Go down
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 am

something called common sence stoped them posting that bit crease ...¬¬
Back to top Go down
Crease
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic
Crease

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 am

dont be a dingbat
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 am

BWD? lol
Back to top Go down
Crease
Over Enthusiastic
Over Enthusiastic
Crease

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 am

back wheel drive Smile
Back to top Go down
PINGU
Spam bot
Spam bot
PINGU

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 am

scratch oh hang on drift basics 7705
Back to top Go down
Sith
Sith

Kudos : 56

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:10 pm

"experianced drifter will suggest as the first modifcations"

dunno what's worse, the spelling or the fact they reckon you need to spend £ on coilovers and an LSD :S

TLDR: everyone has their own methods.
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Thats why theres forums out there that are dedicated to drifting shit cars, because people seem to say that driftworks forums are full of people that buy all the kit but cant drift.
Back to top Go down
Sith
Sith

Kudos : 56

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 pm

can't be a shit car if it drifts Razz
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

Kudos : 4

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 12:56 am

I think you guys are missing the point. Its says get to know your car and how it handles, and then goes on to suggest modifications that you could do to improve driftability, and the order they are done in. It at no point says you cant drift a standard car, nor that you must do those mods to drift.

Think of it as you want to use your car for 1/4 mile racing. Yeh, you can use a standard car. If you then want to go faster, people would suggest different mods and orders, but mine would be something like this (an example btw),
1. Remove interior.
2. Add power.
3. Grippier tyers.

With all due respect, Driftworks has been around for years and they are going to know a thing or two about drifting. Personaly, I think its quite a good article.
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 am

Maybe, but I think people need to be aware they can do it without spending big moneys! Smile
Back to top Go down
Krazy
Noob
Noob
Krazy

Kudos : 2

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 am

Can still drift with an Open diff. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/SumpScuffers
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 am

Aii, but speak to anyone about drifting on the cheap and they will say weld the diff. You can drift without doing this, but it makes things easier.

Having a drift car still adds up to quite a bit. By the time you do insurance etc its easily over £1k just for a cheap crap car that will probibly last 2 events. I need something to drift, but just cant justify it atm.
Back to top Go down
PINGU
Spam bot
Spam bot
PINGU

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 4:39 am

imguna weld mine , defo
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 7:23 am

Lucasdemoley wrote:
Aii, but speak to anyone about drifting on the cheap and they will say weld the diff. You can drift without doing this, but it makes things easier.

Having a drift car still adds up to quite a bit. By the time you do insurance etc its easily over £1k just for a cheap crap car that will probibly last 2 events. I need something to drift, but just cant justify it atm.

This is lies Razz

For a start, you cant include insurance in your budget... insurance depends on the person and you haveto pay it whatever car you're driving.

So I bought a car for £750, and im insuring it for £400.
I've put my car through hell so far, and I've not had any problems (that aren't self inflicted).

You've been at pembrey Luke, the TD lot often go there in their budget drifters, and you generaly see the same cars over and over.

I think as long as your willing to sacrafice looks, its easy to drift on the cheap!
Back to top Go down
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 am

well said
Back to top Go down
dyf
Getting Started
Getting Started
dyf

Kudos : 1

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 am

£1000 pah talkin through ur ass lucas £400-£600 will get you a 328i easy
trailer hire £25 and before you say you need a tow vehicle ...that i would sacrafice for a nice road car ....=savin on insurance tax nd mot = more money for mods .....take my alhambra you can sleep in that too and it would tow a 328 easy also ....fun fun fun
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 am

I'd take a bet that at least 25% of the cars at drift inc are between £400-£600
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 am

All valid points, but I have a company car, so no insurance issues atm! Tow car isnt a problem, but I cant tow with my licence and have nowhere near to store a car.

End of the day if your going to use your main car as a drift car, there is no real extra exspense other than attending events
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am

After the wedding we are looking at getting a 4x4 so we will have a tow vehicle, and I would like to put a driveway in at the house aswell so could have a cheapo car to drift, however that said I think I would want something road legal.

To go out and buy a car to drift, and make it road legal i.e insurance to suit my circumstances, it would cost over £1k.
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:35 am

If you've got a company car, you can save the money up that you're not spending on tax/insurance/repairs and buy a minter of a drift car Wink
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Aii, if only that money wasnt already being spent in 100 different places!

If I had a trailer licence it wouldnt be so bad because I could nick my dads van to tow, borrow a trailer and find a cheap RWD car to drift and thats it!
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Then go get the licence Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

drift basics Empty
PostSubject: Re: drift basics   drift basics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

drift basics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next