MidWales Modified
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MidWales Modified

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tyre Stretch and the law

Go down 
+2
tombombvw
silentdice
6 posters
AuthorMessage
silentdice
silentdice

Kudos : 107

Tyre Stretch and the law Empty
PostSubject: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 1:26 am

A bloke on my facebook has just been issued 12 points (3 for each tyre) for having stretch, I told him that theres no law against it, and as far as I know, the only issue is the wheel being too far out of the arch and being unsafe to pedestrians.

Anyone got any links to any useful info about this?
Back to top Go down
tombombvw
tombombvw

Kudos : 30

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 am

as far i i know there is no law, as long as the tread is under the arch and the rim doesnt protrude the arch by more than 1.5"
Back to top Go down
http://www.bomberaudio.co.uk
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 am

what tom said!
were was this?
cos im guna be stancing the zimm zimma next year
Back to top Go down
claymore
claymore

Kudos : 9

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:21 am

I'm going to upset a few people already....lol
On the retrorides track attack in august at least 3 cars with stretch had there tyres pop off the rim, so be warned, it is not against the law but VOSA use, "construction and use" to prosicute people, all tyres have a manufacturer recomended wheel size.
Back to top Go down
silentdice
silentdice

Kudos : 107

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 am

Ouch, I bet that caused a bit of kerbing on the wheels Neutral
Back to top Go down
OcaToro

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 pm

just to make clear to anyone reading, stretch is illegal. yes people get away with it every day, and yes a couple have got off in court citing eu waffle leaflets which arent even law in any country. this is due to lazy and inept prosecutors, NOT because there is "no law against it"

the law is pretty clear and is as follows....

motor vehicles regulation act 1996. schedule 2 section 16 paragraph 4
"Each tyre fitted to the vehicle shall be of a nominal size appropriate to the wheel to which it is fitted."

who decides what the nominal size is? manufacturers recommended rim size.

this is backed up by constructions and use schedules of the road traffic act in that parts must be used as intended by the manufacturer. and given that every single tyre manufacturer has issued public statements specifically warning how dangerous tyre stretch is... as well as each tyre having its own recommended use.... there is no way on earth of contending that it is legal in any way.
Back to top Go down
matt_666
matt_666

Kudos : 7

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 am

"Each tyre fitted to the vehicle shall be of a nominal size appropriate to the wheel to which it is fitted."

who decides what the nominal size is? manufacturers recommended rim size.

check different manufacturers etc as some will allow stretch from what i have read but only with their persmission, it comes down to axle loads and max speeds. I have 195/45/16 on 8j and according to the tyre manufacturer due to my axle weights been low as its only a 2seater its ok and they i have a certificate of conformity. Its all about how much stretch and what the manufacturers say imo how can a court do you if its within the manufactures spec. if it isnt then fair enough but thats just my opinion
Back to top Go down
OcaToro

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 10:29 am

yeah you are right but most are not even close to manufacturers spec matt. thats why i said the manufacturers guidelines are what the law determines as the right width.

Back to top Go down
matt_666
matt_666

Kudos : 7

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 2:02 am

thats true, there are cases where people are going far to far with it imo, some to clear arches etc is fine imo and it its within spec.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Stretch and the law   Tyre Stretch and the law Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyre Stretch and the law
Page 1 of 1