MidWales Modified
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MidWales Modified

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

what tyre size do i need?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Will9n
Getting Started
Getting Started
Will9n

Kudos : 2

what tyre size do i need? Empty
PostSubject: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 7:55 am

Hi guys, right i've bought some audi A3 alloys for my polo but they came with the tyres for the A3 still on which are 195/65/15's. I'm fairly sure these won't go on my car as its lowered 30mm on springs so was wondering what profile people would recommend? I'm looking at either 195/50/15 or 195/40/15 but don't want to be too low profile as the whole point of these wheels was to reduce the arch gap a bit. If it helps my current tyres are 165/70/14 and theres a fair bit of arch gap.

I would be grateful for any advice/recommendations? Also the tyres which are currently on the A3 wheels will probs be for sale in the near future, they are nearly new with 5mm tread on all so if anyone with a standard height a3 or similar is interested get in touch
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

Kudos : 8

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:20 am

worth just test fitting them when they arrive?
Back to top Go down
Will9n
Getting Started
Getting Started
Will9n

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:54 am

I've got them at the moment on the A3 tyres but lined up alongside the car they look like they probably won't go on but havent actually tried fitting them, think that would be worth a try?
Back to top Go down
asbo
asbo

Kudos : 26

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:57 am

yeah give then a test fit.. but tbh id put 195/50/15s on it
and lower the car more to sure the arch gap Razz
Back to top Go down
Will9n
Getting Started
Getting Started
Will9n

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:43 am

sweet yeah i was thinking 50 cheers asbo. And yeah have long term plans for coilies so arch gap will eventually be terminated Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

Kudos : 8

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeh defo worth a test fit for sure! I would prob go to a 40 profile if ur planning to go coilovers! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lucasdemoley
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior

Kudos : 4

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Abit of maths. Your current tyres are 7" plus 115.5mm tyre wall from the centre. This is 29cm from centre to the top of the tyre.

As you are now running 15's (1inch bigger than 14's!) the tyre will now be 12.5mm closer to the wheel arch, if you were still using the same spec tyres. With the tyres you have on these alloys, you have 7.5" plus 126.75mm, so this is 31.4cm from the centre, or basicly 2.4cm closer to your arch.

Tyre size really depends on suspension travel/ width, as over a bump on full lock you are more likely to catch your arch is a wide tyre than you would with a narrower tyre, so although you might get the height to match your existing wheels, the additional width might be what causes you the issues.

195/50/15 = 28.5cm from centre, so slightly more arch gap than your current wheels (5mm)

195/40/15 = 26.6cm from centre, so quite abit difference, an extra 24mm arch gap.

Personaly, I would go for the 195/50/15 as you shouldn't encounter issues due to the extra width, arch gap will be about the same and the tyres will also be cheaper that the 40's.

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Will9n
Getting Started
Getting Started
Will9n

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 4:29 am

Thanks Lucas thats really helpful all the information I was after is there, much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what tyre size do i need?   what tyre size do i need? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what tyre size do i need?
Page 1 of 1